Examinations in Mathematics

You want to register for an examination? You need to find out when examinations take place? Or you have studied abroad for a semester and want to have the credits you earned recognized? This page gives you the most important information on the subject. 

Current examination period

Summer semester 2023

Register correctly using Curricula Support

To take part in an examination, you must register using Curricula Support in TUMonline. Registering for the course does not automatically register you for the exam.

Repeat examination

If you fail an examination, you must register again in order to complete the repeat examination.

The Examination Board is responsible for all examinations in mathematical degree programs:

Chair: Prof. Dr. Johannes Müller
Deputy Chair: Prof. Dr. Tim Hoffmann
Secretary for the Bachelor program: Dr. Kathrin Ruf
Secretary for the Master programs: Dr. Michael Ritter
Secretary for the TopMath degree program: Dr. Carl-Friedrich Kreiner

In case of queries and requests (e.g. regarding missed examination registration deadlines or withdrawal from examinations) please contact the relevant secretary or write to: pa@ma.tum.de 

Should you be prevented from taking part in an exam due to illness, you must see a doctor and get an official Medical Certificate for that day. Please keep this document in a safe place – should you fail to comply with the standard duration of your degree program, you may have to present this certificate as proof of having missed the exam for good reasons.

If you are not enrolled at the TUM Department of Mathematics, please follow the guidelines in case of illness of your own department.

A transcript (also called academic transcript or transcript of records) is an official document in English and German showing:

  • A list of courses attended at TUM (lectures, seminars, etc.)
  • Number of ECTS credits per course
  • Grades earned
  • Grading table

It is valid without signature and stamp. In the rare case you need a signed and stamped ToR, you can request a signed and stamped Transcript of Records (ToR) here: Student Service Center - Examination Office, Campus Garching, Boltzmannstr. 17, contact person: Hildegard Praegla. 

To request a ranking report, please send an e-mail to bachelor@ma.tum.de or master@ma.tum.de.

You should provide the following details:

  • last name, first name
  • matriculation number
  • for Master's students: please specify which Master's program
  • your preferred language for the report (English or German)

ATTENTION: If you have exceeded the standard duration of study, it is not possible to generate a ranking report.

Credit transfer for TUM modules

Master's students who have completed courses during their previous Bachelor's degree program at TUM that were not recorded on their graduation certificate can apply to have these credits recognized toward their Master’s degree program.