General information on your thesis
- For tips on finding a topic and completing the thesis, please come to the information event Let's talk about - Final Thesis @in.tum
- It is mandatory to be enrolled while writing your thesis.
- For information on writing guidelines, formatting, extension, submission, and visibility of registration and submission, please see thesis in detail.
All examiners of the Computer Science and Computer Engineering Department at the School of Computation, Information and Technology can supervise Bachelor's and Master's theses. In addition, all affiliate members of the former Department of Informatics can be supervisor.
You can find out which department an examiner belongs to in TUMonline. Here you will find lists for professorships and chairs:
- A4 size
- No handwriting (apart from date and signature at the second page)
- Cardstock (no transparent film, no plastic cover)
- Hardback (no spiral binding)
- Technische Universität München or Technical University of Munich
- School of Computation, Information and Technology - Informatics
- Master's Thesis in | Bachelor's Thesis in Informatics | Informatics: Games Engineering | Information Systems | Biomedical Computing | Data Engineering and Analytics | Automotive Software Engineering | ...
- Thesis title (in the language of the thesis).
Please note: If the title is different from the title you have registered, the new title must be confirmed by your supervisor.
- First and last name of the author.
- The TUM and departmental logos are optional.
- Please note:
The TUM and departmental logos are optional.
Do not attach any notes, images and company name or other logos.
No company name or company logo.
- Author and shortened title, Imprinted or permanently fixed (f.e. glue on the text with wide tape).
- Repeat the cover information.
- Also include:
- The title must be written in English as well as German.
- Supervisor: The first and last names of the supervisor including the academic title
- Advisor/s: The first and last names of the advisor/s including the academic title
- Submission date: (must not be handwritten)
- the actual submission date
- or the submission deadline (15th of the month)
- Please note:
Do not include your student registration number or other personal data such as date of birth.
Do not attach any notes, images and company name or logo.
- Include the following declaration:
I confirm that this bachelor's thesis | master's thesis is my own work and I have documented all sources and material used.
- Handwritten signature and date of signature (date may also be handwritten).
There is a (non-official) LaTeX template , but the previously mentioned formatting instructions should be checked.
Please respect the Student Code of Conduct.
The topic of the Bachelor's thesis must be registered with the Examination Board before the start of the processing period. For this purpose, please send the completed and signed registration form to the respective person in charge at least one week before the processing start in agreement with the topic author and possibly the supervisor. There will be no confirmation of the registration. The entry is visible in TUMonline.
The possible start of the processing period is the 15th of each month. The deadline is four months later at the latest.
The duration of the Master's Thesis is six months. The topic of a Master's thesis must be registered with the examination board before the start of the project. For this purpose, a registration form is filled out in agreement with the advisor and supervisor and sent to the Office of Academic Affairs latest one week before the start of the project (for contact person/email address, see registration form and right sidebar).
There is no confirmation of the registration. The entry can be seen in TUMonline.
The possible start of the thesis is the 15th of each month, the deadline for submission is six months later at the latest. Other deadlines apply for part-time students.
Registration forms for theses and further information specific to the degree program can be found on the degree program pages in the thesis section:
- Bachelor Bioinformatics
- Bachelor Informatics
- Bachelor Informatics: Games Engineering
- Bachelor Information Systems
- Master Bioinformatics
- Master Biomedical Computing
- Master Computational Science and Engineering
- Master Data Engineering and Analytics
- Master Informatics
- Master Informatics: Games Engineering
- Master Information Systems
- Master Robotics, Cognition, Intelligence
How can I see in TUMonline that my thesis is registered?
On your personal overview page in TUMonline, you will find the application "Student Files" in the section "Studies and Courses". If you click on it, you will get to your student file, where there is also a tab "Degrees". In the lower part of this tab you will find your thesis, if you are already registered. If you hold the cursor over the orange dot, your submission date will be displayed.
Alternatively, you can go to your "Curriculum Support" via the tile "Study Status/Curriculum". If you expand the entry "Bachelor'sThesis" with the "Plus" twice, you will see a note that the thesis is registered.
When we have received your thesis and registered your submission, this will also be displayed there.
The subsequent regulations apply only to students in the following degree programs:
- Bachelor: Informatics, Informatics: Games Engineering, Information Systems
- Master: Biomedical Computing, Data Engineering and Analytics, Informatics, Informatics: Games Engineering, Information Systems,
Next Submission Date: Monday, October 16th, 2023, 10 a.m. - 1 p.m., room 00.10.033
The submission of final theses is possible on every 15th of a month, or on the next following working day at the times indicated above, in room 00.10.033.
If it is not possible for you to hand in your final thesis onsite, you will have to send it by post.
Please mail one copy of your thesis by post to:
Technische Universität München
Servicebüro Studium Informatik, SB-S-IN
The date of the postmark counts.
- the thesis must be submitted on the 15th of the month, or the next working day if the 15th is a Saturday, Sunday, or public holiday
- early submission is possible
- Submit one paper copy at the Academic Programs Office - Informatics
- Submit one copy to your supervisor (please clarify with your supervisor how to submit this copy)
- You may also wish to give one copy to the departmental library and one copy to the advisor, but this is not compulsory.
If a final thesis has been approved as a group paper in consultation with the supervisor in the sense of §18 Para. 2 of the APSO, each author must nevertheless submit a separate copy of the thesis with his or her own affidavit. The individual assignment of the examination performance to be evaluated should be clearly evident from the work. On the cover page and the spine only the name of the student submitting this copy should be written. On the first page, all authors can be listed under "Authors".
If you are unable to meet the submission deadline of your thesis for valid reasons for which you are not responsible, you can submit an application for an extension of the thesis to the Examination Board.
The application must be submitted immediately to the secretary responsible for your degree program, by email from your TUM account. If possible, please fill in and sign the form digitally. Medical certificates also have to be submitted in original (by post). The processing time after submission of all documents is usually two weeks, and you will be notified of the Examination Board's decision.
Applications can generally be divided into two categories:
1) Health reasons
If you are ill and can prove by a certificate that you are prevented from working on your thesis, the processing time is suspended. In the Department of Informatics, this is represented by an extension of your submission deadline. A medical certificate must be enclosed with the application in original. A certificate of incapacity for work is not sufficient. You can find the requirements for a certificate on the website Withdrawing from Examinations – Medical Certificates.
2) Other reasons
In cases of delays due to other valid reasons for which you are not responsible, the submission deadline of your thesis may be extended in exceptional and particularly justified cases in agreement with the thesis supervisor and with the approval of the Examination Board. Please enclose a detailed justification (if possible with supporting documents) with your application.
Completing your Studies
Release of final certificate
Please contact the secretary of the Examination Board of your study program via e-mail for the release of your Bachelor's degree documents when all grades have been entered and validly set. For enrollment in consecutive Master's programs in Informatics at TUM, the following applies: From mid-September and mid-March respectively, the graduation will be reported directly to the Enrollment Office after the release of the transcripts, so that the graduation documents are no longer necessary for enrollment.
Graduation documents and preliminary certificates
Please be aware that graduation documents and preliminary certificates can only be issued when all grades in TUMonline (including the thesis) are validated. Certificates for students of the Faculty for Informatics are issued by the Graduation Office and Academic Records Campus Garching exclusively, after approval by the Examination Board. Please contact the Secretary of the Examination Board of your study program as soon as all your grades are validated. (Responsible Secretary of the Examination Board: see section "Contact" on the webpage for your study program)
Transition Bachelor – Master
If you enroll for a consecutive Master's program at the Department of Informatics after your Bachelor's degree, we will forward your bachelor's degree to the Admissions and Enrollment Office for enrollment (not for the application!). The graduation documents are therefore not necessary for enrollment. A green checkmark will then appear in the online application portal for your degree certificate and diploma. Please note that it may take a few days until the documents are updated in the portal. If you do not see these two green check marks 1 week before the enrollment deadline, please contact the secretary of the examination board as soon as possible.
Please find more information under graduation.